To provide our contractors with a highly skilled workforce.
To unify our contractors and members working together and
maintaining safety, profitability and quality to the highest standards.
Have you ever lost your job because your Employer:
• Lost a major customer?
• Laid you off to hire someone else?
• Laid you off because you filed a compensation claim?
• Declared bankruptcy?
• Fired you for submitting travel or gas receipts?
• Fired you because of a work refusal because you had a safety concern?
• Other unjustified reason?
• Help you find another job.
• Guarantee your wage at your next job.
• Continue your health insurance.
• Pay you weekly benfits if you get hurt or sick.
• Ensure that you will be given equal opportuity to be hired from a large group of employers in the area.
Have you been treated unfairly?
• Mistakes on your paycheque?
• Lost wages due to bankruptcy?
• Arguments over hours worked?
• Unfair disbursement of overtime hours?
• Unpaid coffee and lunch breaks?
• Irregular starting and quitting times?
• Refusal to pay travel expenses?
• Failure to sign you as an apprentice?
• Fired without just cause?
• You will be treated fairly.
• You will have a voice.
• You do not have to stand alone.
• You have a network of contractors you can be hired by.
• Opportunity to work for other local unions through our local to local referral system.
• Training Courses - First Aid, CPR, Forktruck, Broderson Welding.
• All Sheet Metal Worker Unions have negotiated contracts and procedures (enforceable in Federal Court if necessary) to handle all grievances and disputes.
The Union does not want us, they just want the Company.
It does not benefit us to organize the company and cut the employees loose. The union has long understood that the only way we can insure decent wages and working conditions for all sheet metal workers, is to manage the supply of skilled manpower.
If the Union comes in they will get rid of us and bring in their own people.
Again this will not benefit us in any way. We want you to become union members and stay employed with your current employer.
If I get laid off in the Union I have to sit on the out of work list and starve.
S.M.W.I.A Members have more employment opportunities that non members. S.M.W.I.A Members have the opportunity to work for all union contractors.
S.M.W.I.A Members also have the option of traveling to other local unions for work, through our local to local referral system.
The Company will not be able to compete.
The S.M.W.I.A is commited to organizing all Sheet Metal workers in the province of Ontario. The S.M.W.I.A is currently working on Market recovery programs to keep pur contractors competitive in today's market. By sticking together as Sheet Metal Workers, and demanding respectable wages and working conditions, we can insure that all contractors are bidding work on a level playing field>
Today - make the right choice for you and your family! Contact the Organizing Department at Local 235 at (519) 945-0500 All calls are private and confidential.
Evolve, Adapt,Organize, Unionize... "Let the Union Work for You!"